Cinema Cinema: 11th. New York Indian Film Festival
The Indo-American Arts Council presented a bouquet of exquisite Indian films, both Bollywood and in-language at the 11th. Annual New York Indian Film Festival, May 4-8. The festival is North America’s oldest and most prestigious destination for feature films, documentaries, and short stories from produced in the Indian subcontinent. NYIFF is a once-a-year opportunity to experience the rich and diverse film cultures of the subcontinent through a mix of film screenings, discussions, industry panels, nightly parties, an awards ceremony, and gala red carpet events. A Siliconeer report.
Capping off five days of Indian cinematic excellence, the 11th Annual New York Indian Film Festival came to a close in grand fashion on May 8 with the spectacular Closing Night red carpet premiere of Rituparno Ghosh’s powerful film Noukadubi which was attended by Rishi Kapoor, Neetu Singh Kapoor, Salman Rushdie, Mira Nair, Aparna Sen, Madhur Jaffrey, Ambassador Prakash Shah, Consul General Prabhu Dayal, and many other notable celebrities. Following the premiere at Asia Society in Manhattan was the festival’s annual awards ceremony. The winners are listed below.
• Best Feature Film - Sthaniya Sambaad, directed by Arjun Gourisaria & Moinak Biswas
• Best Director - Aparna Sen, Iti Mrinalini
• Best Actor - Rishi Kapoor, Do Dooni Chaar
• Best Actress - Konkona Sen Sharma, Iti Mrinalini
• Best Screenplay - Mohan Raghavan, T.D. Dasan Std. VI B
• Best Documentary - Bhopali (Max Carlson)
• Best Short Film - Just That Sort Of A Day (Abhay Kumar)