From Italy, With Love: Veggie Pasta in White Sauce
One of the finest dishes ever, straight from an Italian cookbook. Seventh-grader Vansh A. Gupta, who enjoys cooking as a hobby, shows how he made it at his own home, giving it a slight desi flavor.
(Above): Veggie Pasta in White Sauce [Photo: SILICONEER]
- 2 red onions (chopped)
- 500 gm penne pasta
- pot of water for boiling pasta
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 2 red and yellow bell peppers (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 small can of sliced black olives
- 1 bunch green onions (chopped)
- cilantro leaves (for garnish)
- 5-10 almonds (sliced)
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese powder
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup flour (for White sauce)
- 2 cups milk (for White Sauce)
- 1 tbsp vinegar (for White Sauce)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp crushed pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper (for vegetables)
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp butter
Pasta: Boil the pasta in a pot half-filled with water for 15 min, drain and keep the pasta aside.
Vegetables: In a frying pan, heat the 1 tbsp oil, add red onions, carrots, red, yellow and green bell peppers, olives and green onions. Add salt and black pepper. Toss and cook for 15 minutes. After cooking the vegetables put it aside.
White Sauce: In a pan, add butter and flour and cook for five minutes till it forms a light brown paste. Add milk and vinegar and stir for about ten minutes. Keep aside.
Final Preparation: In a large frying pan, add 2 tbsp oil and add the pasta. Next, add the vegetables and finally, add the white sauce. Toss for about a minute so the items mix evenly. Add garlic powder, crushed pepper and Parmesan cheese powder and toss. Add grated Parmesan cheese and mix. Top it off with almonds and cilantro.
NOTE: Keep Stove on Medium to High.
Prep & Cooking: 45 minutes
Serves 4-6 persons