- HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
- Siliconeer Mobile App - Download Now
- Siliconeer - Multimedia Magazine - email-Subscription
- Avex Funding: Home Loans
- Comcast Xfinity Triple Play Voice - Internet - TV
- AKSHAY PATRA - Bay Area Event - Sat. Dec 6
- Calcoast Mortgage - Home Loans
- New Homes in Silicon Valley: City Ventures - Loden Place - Morgan Hill
- Bombay to Goa Restaurant, Sunnyvale
- Buying, Sellling Real Estate in Fremont, SF Bay Area, CA - Happy Living 4U - Realtor Ashok K. Gupta & Vijay Shah
- Sunnyvale Hindu Temple: December Events
- ARYA Global Cuisine, Cupertino - New Year's Eve Party - Belly Dancing and more
- Bhindi Jewellers - ROLEX
- Dadi Pariwar USA Foundation - Chappan Bhog - Sunnyvale Temple - Nov 16, 2014 - 1 PM
- India Chaat Cuisine, Sunnyvale
- Matrix Insurance Agency: Obamacare - New Healthcare Insurance Policies, Visitors Insurance and more
- New India Bazar: Groceries: Special Sale
- The Chugh Firm - Attorneys and CPAs
- California Temple Schedules
- Christ Church of India - Mela - Bharath to the Bay
- Taste of India - Fremont
- MILAN Indian Cuisine & Milan Sweet Center, Milpitas
- Shiva's Restaurant, Mountain View
- Indian Holiday Options: Vacation in India
- Sakoon Restaurant, Mountain View
- Bombay Garden Restaurants, SF Bay Area
- Law Offices of Mahesh Bajoria - Labor Law
- Sri Venkatesh Bhavan - Pleasanton - South Indian Food
- Alam Accountancy Corporation - Business & Tax Services
- Chaat Paradise, Mountain View & Fremont
- Chaat House, Fremont & Sunnyvale
- Balaji Temple - December Events
- God's Love
- Kids Castle, Newark Fremont: NEW COUPONS
- Pani Puri Company, Santa Clara
- Pandit Parashar (Astrologer)
- Acharya Krishna Kumar Pandey
- Astrologer Mahendra Swamy
- Raj Palace, San Jose: Six Dollars - 10 Samosas
An Evening of Ghazals:
Ghulam Ali and Munni Begum
The Sunnyvale Hindu Temple recently presented an evening of ghazals. A Siliconeer report.
(Above): Munni Begum and Ghulam Ali(r). [Sharif Ahmed/Siliconeer photo]
Two of the most illustrious exponents of ghazals performed June 7 at the Sunnyvale Hindu Temple. Ghazal exponents Ghulam Ali and Munni Begum held a sold-out audience in thrall with their exquisitely presented ghazals.
Both singers presented their perennial audience favorites, much to the delight of the assembled gathering.
Born in the Sialkot district of pre-partition Punjab Ghulam Ali belongs to a musical family; his father was a vocalist and a sarangi player who gave him early training. At the age of 15, he became a student of the legendary Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, who was a master of the Patiala Gharana. His actual training was provided mainly by Bade Ghulam Ali Khan’s three brothers: Barqat Ali Khan, Mubarak Ali Khan, and Amanat Ali Khan.
Munni Begum grew up in Dhaka. In 1971, Begum’s family fled their home country during its war for independence, and ended up in a refugee camp in Pakistan.
Three decades later, Munni Begum lives in Chicago and is a U.S. citizen. She often performs in North America and South Asia.