- HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
- Siliconeer Mobile App - Download Now
- Siliconeer - Multimedia Magazine - email-Subscription
- Avex Funding: Home Loans
- Comcast Xfinity Triple Play Voice - Internet - TV
- AKSHAY PATRA - Bay Area Event - Sat. Dec 6
- Calcoast Mortgage - Home Loans
- New Homes in Silicon Valley: City Ventures - Loden Place - Morgan Hill
- Bombay to Goa Restaurant, Sunnyvale
- Buying, Sellling Real Estate in Fremont, SF Bay Area, CA - Happy Living 4U - Realtor Ashok K. Gupta & Vijay Shah
- Sunnyvale Hindu Temple: December Events
- ARYA Global Cuisine, Cupertino - New Year's Eve Party - Belly Dancing and more
- Bhindi Jewellers - ROLEX
- Dadi Pariwar USA Foundation - Chappan Bhog - Sunnyvale Temple - Nov 16, 2014 - 1 PM
- India Chaat Cuisine, Sunnyvale
- Matrix Insurance Agency: Obamacare - New Healthcare Insurance Policies, Visitors Insurance and more
- New India Bazar: Groceries: Special Sale
- The Chugh Firm - Attorneys and CPAs
- California Temple Schedules
- Christ Church of India - Mela - Bharath to the Bay
- Taste of India - Fremont
- MILAN Indian Cuisine & Milan Sweet Center, Milpitas
- Shiva's Restaurant, Mountain View
- Indian Holiday Options: Vacation in India
- Sakoon Restaurant, Mountain View
- Bombay Garden Restaurants, SF Bay Area
- Law Offices of Mahesh Bajoria - Labor Law
- Sri Venkatesh Bhavan - Pleasanton - South Indian Food
- Alam Accountancy Corporation - Business & Tax Services
- Chaat Paradise, Mountain View & Fremont
- Chaat House, Fremont & Sunnyvale
- Balaji Temple - December Events
- God's Love
- Kids Castle, Newark Fremont: NEW COUPONS
- Pani Puri Company, Santa Clara
- Pandit Parashar (Astrologer)
- Acharya Krishna Kumar Pandey
- Astrologer Mahendra Swamy
- Raj Palace, San Jose: Six Dollars - 10 Samosas
Bangla Concert: Srikanto Acharya
San Jose, Calif.-based Bangla magazine is celebrating its seventh anniversary with a Bangla music concert featuring noted Kolkata singer Srikanto Acharya, writes Sabir Majumder.
(Above): Srikanto Acharya
Almost seven years ago a few Bangla aficionados decided to take on a daunting task—bring out a monthly magazine in Bangla — Porshi. The task still remains financially daunting — surely nobody can expect to become rich by bringing out a magazine in Bangla in the U.S., that too, in an area where the Bangla-speaking population is sparse.
But for those of us who love Bangla with a passion, the effort is well worth the hard work — we love the fact that our publication can do its part in building bridges for Bangla speakers around the world. Do visit us at www.porshi.com, and even better, subscribe!
This year’s seventh anniversary is in keeping with Porshi’s ethos — we present noted singer Srikanto Acharya. Srikanto is from Kolkata; Porshi’s founders, and the bulk of its readers, are from Bangladesh. However, in today’s globalized world we believe Bangla-speakers should nurture and develop the ties that bind us transcending political and religious divides – the ties born of our shared Bangla culture in which we take such pride and on which we lavish so much affection.
Srikanto primarily sings contemporary Bangla songs reflecting the ethos of his times as well as songs steeped in the rich musical heritage of the past. He received formal training in Rabindra Sangeet for 10 years from Dakshinee. He also took training in tabla, his first love, from Ustad Ali Ahmad Khan for a brief period. Overall, he has learned his music from avid listening of all kinds of music and in this sense, he is essentially a self-taught musician.
Srikanto’s albums have won many awards. Some recent albums include the 2006 Dettol-Anandabazar Sharad Arghya award for Best Puja Album of the Year (Roddur); 2004 Best Rabindrasangeet Alpha Music Award (Rabindrasangeet Jibon Chhobi); 2004 National Insurance Anandabazaar Best Puja Album of the Year Award (Ghuri).
Srikanta performs for audiences across West Bengal and India. His international tours include touring of the United States several times, including the Silver Jubilee Celebration of North American Bengali Conference in Madison Square Garden, New York in July 2005; England in Scotland (2003) and Australia, Singapore, Kuwait (2005), Canada (2006) and Dubai and U.S. (May and June 2007).
Srikanto Acharya: Live in Concert
Date: July 13, Sunday. Time: 4 p.m.-8 p.m.
Venue: Jackson Theatre, Ohlone College, Fremont, Calif.
General admission: $20 per person (in advance by 7/6), $25 per person (at the gate)
Special admission: $40 per person (in advance by 7/6), $50 person (at the gate)
Personal sponsorship: $100 per person (1 event ticket and 1 ticket for lunch with the singer on Sat 7/12)
Organizational sponsorship: $500 or above (2 event tickets and 2 tickets for lunch with the singer on Sat 7/12)
Children up to age 6 year and not occupying a seat are free.
Web: www.porshi.com (Click on concert link)